Wanderthirst

Wanderthirst
Wanderthirst Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Totally 80s and lovin’ it!


August 1st marked the 30th birthday for MTV. That means I was 12 and had just moved from Maryland to Florida and was just about to enter a new middle school when “Video Killed the Radio Star”. Of those years I recall being scared to enter into another new school as we had moved around a bit, but this would finally be a place to call home; a place where I could make friends and finish out my school years. However, this was definitely an awkward time. I was too young to hang with the cool teens, but yet too old to hang with the little tots. I was in the land of confusion. High school wasn’t any better so I found escape through music and…Molly Ringwald or Andrew McCarthy. “I want my MTV” was not only an advertising slogan; it was what I lived for. I am the product of the 80s. From Jordache jeans to stand-up collar polo’s that was me. So to celebrate MTV’s 30th birthday and a total homage to the 80s, I present to you the top 5 most memorable or influential things in my life.

5. Live Aid- I remember that day as if it was yesterday. It was a hot day in July. I was 16 with nowhere to go. I watched the entire broadcast and was in complete awe. I also woke up to the reality of life outside of me. It wasn’t so bad being a 16 year old kid living in Homosassa anymore.

4. Band Aid- Kinda goes hand and hand with #5. Every time I hear the song "Do They Know It's Christmas" over Christmas, its takes me right back to my youth. Today I still sing it with my sister as we did when we were younger.

3. John Hughes movies – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, National Lampoon’s Vacation, Sixteen Candles…the list is endless.

2. MTV- brought me MADONNA and Thriller! Need I say more? Oh, and a host of other great bands. It’s my coming of age music: Duran Duran (my boys!!), Depeche Mode, INXS, Devo, The Cure, The Smiths, Yaz, Tears for Fears….I could go on and on. The hairbands were huge too but it was Duran Duran posters that covered my bedroom wall.

1. The fashion- crimping iron, black bangles, leather anything, puffy outfits, leg warmers, parachute pants and lots of black eye make-up and AquaNet. What were we thinking?

To this day, when I hear a song from the 80s or see some of the fashion that makes its way back around, it brings me great joy to reflect. Ahhh, I love the 80s!! What are some of your favorite moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment